Mrs MacMahon, Daniel’s Mum and a Physiotherapist, came to talk to us about brain health. She works with patients who have suffered from serious brain injuries or problems. We learnt about the different parts of the brain and how to protect our brains. It is very important to wear bike helmets when riding bikes and scooters. It is also important to wear a seat belt in the car.
It was interesting to hear about how we can develop our brains and how to look after them with a healthy diet.
We were lucky enough to receive a small squishy brain each, which helped us to understand the parts and structure of the brain. Mrs MacMahon was a great expert and a real expert in brain health.
We love learning from experts and today we were lucky enough to have Laura, from Moreland City Council, come and speak to us. She taught us many knew things about our role as caretakers of the environment and she set us the challenge of looking at what we are doing and to think about what more we could do?
BRADEN and JAMES
The quick facts from Laura were:
- Use a Bike-Active transport
- Sustainable products-low palm oil or no palm oil
- Compost as much as possible
- Recycle-shopping bags, products, paper
- Use less paper
- Re-use bath water
- Shower Time should be shorter – Use a Timer
- Install a Water tank
- Solar power- Solar panels-Wind Power
- Use Power saving devises
- Energy efficient appliances- lights
- Be The “Environment Police”
- Sit down and tell them what to do to make the house/building approved
- Introduce ‘The walking school bus’
- Wind power is a great source of energy
- Use Biodegradable plastics and soaps
- Market forces encourage us as consumers
- Oceans are getting warmer-fish eggs cant survive
- We need to be proactive for the Environment
We learnt so much and shared our ideas. We are all now more aware of how we can help.
What will your family’s next challenge be as caretakers of the environment?