Reflections on Students Teaching Students

James

Recently, we have been learning about all the wonderful ways of the different types of Poetry. Us students were the teachers, and we taught everyone our Poetry. My Poetry was a concrete poem and I thought I did a good job of teaching everyone. On top of learning poetry, I thought it was really interesting and even FUN!!!

We had to research the History of Poetry and some Poetry went back into the 1900’s!!! Some even less than that. I think Poetry is a very good way to present information in a fun and humorous way. My favorite Poetry to learn about was probably the Clerihew Poetry.

My favorite Poem that I wrote was probably the List poem. Here it is:

FOOD

Boiling hot chips in

Oils and dips

Beef Jerkies

And delicious Turkeys

Sandwiches for lunch

And Tender Chicken for Brunch.

MIA

THIS WEEK WE HAVE BEEN STUDENT TEACHING POETRY. I REALLY ENJOYED DOING THAT AND I THINK I LEARNT MORE THAN I WOULD WHEN A TEACHER IS TEACHING BECAUSE  I WAS ENTERTAINED WHEN MY FRIENDS ARE TEACHING. MY FAVORITE TYPE OF POEM WAS THE LANTERN POEM TAUGHT BY RUBY AND JACK!

WILL

Over the last 2 weeks we have been learning about all many types of poems. I taught the ‘villanelle’ with my friend, Riley. I learnt so much about these poems and it’s been great. I’ve been so inspired to do great poems. It’s been easier to learn about the types of poems because we were learning from other students. My favourite part of the lesson was when we got to make our own poem! My best poem was the was the sonnet:

STORM

As the trees blow,

With powerful forces,

Putting on a noisy show,

With no knowledge of the the source,

With Brute strength,

To pull us down,

Blows you a long length,

Forcing our faces to a frown,

Strong winds that flow,

With beauty and honour,

As the winds grow,

The winds blow round the corner,

When the wind goes,

As the sun rose.

Jasmine

Across this week we have been learning from each other different styles of interesting poetry. We have researched a type of poem in partners then we shared it with the class. We wrote down the facts of each poem and then tried our own. I hope you enjoy reading my concrete poem.

The Sun

Sun

Shines bright in the blue sky

Making people tanned and warm

High in the sky like a tiny dot

Until clouds float by

and people sigh

Gone  is the sun

6 thoughts on “Reflections on Students Teaching Students

1. That’s fantastic – there are some wonderful examples of poetry and I really like how you’ve included the thoughts of the authors, your students with the poetry. There were a couple of forms of poetry that we haven’t used before this year and I think we’re about the same level so I might borrow some of the ideas to use with our classroom of students from rural New Zealand. Mr Webb and Room Three, Auroa Primary School, Taranaki, New Zealand
    mrwebbauroa.blogspot.com

2. Thanks Mr Webb for your lovely comment.
    We love teaching other people new things, especially in other countries.
    We can share our poetry styles with you that the students made on slideshows.
    Thanks for visiting our blog!
    Verona Gridley 🙂

3. I’ve really enjoyed reading your poems all the way from England! I hope that you can come back to our blog and look what we’ve been doing.

From your friend Mr H at Barrow Hill Primary School, UK.

4. I am loving the poems, they are brill have you learnt lots in class about poetry because they are the best poems i have read of any over blog.