JUSTICE and MATHS BOARD GAMES

Sometimes you set your class a challenge and think, “that will be worthwhile and build on student learning.” So when I asked my year 5 and 6 students to create a board game that would demonstrate their understanding of Justice issues, while developing their skills in decimals, percentage and fractions, I was astounded by the results. Not only was it engaging, but it required deep thinking and enriched their learning. The creativity and diversity of games was unbelievable.

We spent an hour in groups trialling the games and giving feedback.

Board Games feedback
Rosie-I created a game that was challenging, with simple questions. It levelled up, with a variety of easy and harder questions, so that everyone was involved. It was well set up. I worked on it every night for two weeks.
Bridie-The game was well set out, organised, easy to follow and challenging enough. My game included decimals which added to the thinking.
Connor- I included lots of questions on maths, fractions and decimals.
The games were fun and challenging. It made me think about what Justice issues there are in our world.

4 thoughts on “JUSTICE and MATHS BOARD GAMES

1. Hi Mrs Gridley,

I really enjoyed making and playing board games with the class. I’m glad we got to play it with our class because we can get feedback on how to improve. I would definitely do this again. Next time a make a board game I’m going to make all the things I did wrong right!
    Thanks

2. Hi Mrs Gridley,
    Making board games was really fun and enjoyable. It took patience but I loved when we shared our games.
    BEST HOMEWORK EVER
    Lauren

3. Hello Mrs Gridley!
    I had lots of making my board game and playing everyone else’s. They were inspiring and I got lots of ideas from them if I was to make another board game again.
    Thank you for giving us fun homework!

-Peter. 🙂

4. What wonderful board games!!! They looked very detailed and very well presented. Now, that’s fun learning!! Rita