“Kidsview” Social Justice Conference

The conference was great. It was all about poverty and children’s rights. I thought the title “Kidsview” really meant it beacause the kids got to share their points of view about world poverty.
I find it hard to believe that we are richer than 75% of the world with just clothing, beds, food and shelter, plus we have more. Only 12% of the world population has computers and 8% has internet access, which shows that we all have more than we need. A lot of us don’t even want to share.
After seeing the play about Gary’s and Aisa’s lives in the Philippines, I now think how ucky I am that I have the right to go to school, which is in a safe environment. I also thought about how lucky I am to live so close to my school.
The workshops really helped me to have a better understanding of what it is like to live with not much money and then what it is like to live the way I do with everything I need plus more.
I thought that the stories about children around the world who have helped to make a change, just proves that anyone small can make a bIG difference.

Reflection of Kidsview Conference by Amber

2 thoughts on ““Kidsview” Social Justice Conference

1. Thank you for sharing your reflections on the conference.
    Sometimes we need reminders of how lucky we are and how we are richer than 75% of the world’s population.
    So often we envy what others have and don’t see what is beyond material things. The richness of each person in the tapestry of their lives, the inclusiveness community people come from and the love for others makes those who appear to be poor, rich in ways we don’t fully realise.
    We can be trapped in our own indifference and selfishness. It is only when we take action for change that our lives become richer for the response.
    Thank you for reminding me that as global citizens we have the responsibiliy to ensure that others have the same rights we often take for granted.

2. This is a great reflection Amber and the Social Justice team. We are so lucky in Australia, so it is always confronting when you find out JUST how much we have here, and how LITTLE many around the world have. My daughter is staying in India at the minute, and one ‘top Hotel’ had no electricity and a bucket of water for a shower!! Others who have travelled have given similar stories. We certainly need to be more aware and grateful for everything we have, including the love of our parents and all they provide for you. Go home and say ‘thank you’ to them!!
    Keep thinking about others Cheers Mrs Bellesini 🙂