Photographing animals helps us to learn

I was very lucky to be a part of this project. It is amazing to hear how much the students have learnt from this valuable experience. Their learning journey continues and is now enriching and inspiring the whole school community.

3 thoughts on “Photographing animals helps us to learn

1. Hello class,

Photography has been a hobby of mine since the days in the 1960s when I used a simple box camera. These days, like you, I use a digital camera to capture images then use Photoshop if I need to adjust them.

Here is a link to one of my photos if you are permitted to look… http://twitpic.com/4v86eo

The photo shows a favourite of mine, the rainbow lorikeet. They are frequent visitors to my garden and show little fear of people as they fly at high speed from tree to tree. Can you imagine yourself on a very high sugar diet? I think you’d be as excitable as these birds.

Healesville Sanctuary is a wonderful place to practise photography. While I am too far from Healeseville, I have a local animal sanctuary called Potoroo Palace. I do photography and video work for them sometimes and love getting up close and personal with the animals. Imagine the interest in being one of the first people to video a new baby koala first sticking her head out her mother’s pouch.

It impressed me the way you were all experimenting with angle in your shots. Some of the best photos I’ve seen show ordinary things from unusual angles, especially when taking animals. A ground level shot of an echidna or wombat would give the viewer an idea of what the world would look like if they were one of these animals.

Keep practising your photography. It’s a great hobby but can also be a great way to record fleeting moments in everyday life. Perhaps some of you may one day be professional photographers.

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

2. Wow Juniors Blackburn you have learn’t lots about animals and how taking photos of them can help understand ho the are prey or preditors. I love to pictures of the Pelicans they contrast in so many ways. I love photography too it is really exiting and you can change your photos in so many different ways. You can take your photos in so many different ways to change the mood. Well done.
    Tom D
    HIGH LAWN

3. Hello Juniors Blackburn,
    I would say that animals help me to learn because you can describe them and what colours they have on their skin.Its a wonderful thing to do but we the teacher just nomally shows us a picture or a video and we have t describe it.So it very different for you.I loved the video aswell its amazing.
    Keep on putting what you have done on your wonderful blog.
    From Chloe at High Lawn Primary School.